Sunday, September 13, 2009

First Garden

Towards the end of June I bought a tomato kit to plant with Halina. The kit was made up of a five gallon pot, a packet of seeds and a bag of soil. Halina poured the soil in the pot, pressed about ten seeds into the top inch of the soil and then watered it. About a week later she accidently dropped it while trying to move it and about a third of the soil came out. I simply scooped it back in and hoped that something would still grow even though I couldn't see where the seeds were. About a week later three litle sprouts popped up. This was so exciting for Halina and I. After another three weeks the plants were about eight inches high and I think two of the stalks grew together. We were supposed to transplant them about two weeks ago so this wouldn't happen, but I kept forgetting to do so. It has now been about three months and the tomato plants are almost six feet high!
There are dozens of tomatos all over the plants. In my amazement I thought I might plant something else since these were doing so good, so I planted a red bell pepper plant. It too is doing very well and has about four peppers with several more on the way. As of yesterday I also planted sweet basil and lavender. I'd really like to have large garden, but I think most planting is suppose to happen in the Spring. I hope to do some deep reading on gardening before then so we can have a bounty of vegetables and herbs in the Summer.











No comments: