Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Childhood First

Tonight at about 5:30pm we recieved a loud knock at our front door. I thought maybe it was Landon because he was outside firing up his motorcycle to head to a meeting, but instead it was one of the neighbor girls on her scooter. "Can Halina come out to play?" she asked. I was so tickled to hear that statement for the first time with my little girls name in it. Halina, standing behind me, was jumping up and down with excitement. "Can I, Mommy?" with her face a glow. "Yes, but you have to get some play clothes and shoes on," I replied with a little laughter in my voice. She has never been so cooperative! She quickly got dressed and ran outside to greet the two girls that wanted to play. The little girls are in 2nd and 3rd grade. They are quite a bit older then Halina, but she didn't have a problem keeping up with them. Well, except when they went further then Halina was allowed to. I only let Halina go two houses down in either direction. She is still just two years old!

For two straight hours they rode their scooters back and forth in front of our house, covered our driveway with hop scotches and rolled in the grass with lots of giggles and squeels.


My baby is growing up. I won't ever forget that first knock at the door for my sweet Halina. I still remember what that sounded like in my childhood home and the anticipation of hearing a neighbor ask if I could come out to play. This was definitely a treasured moment for me.


1 comment:

Natalie said...

That's crazy. She IS growing up when a friend asks if she can play!